Wednesday 7 October 2015

The Purpose of Spontaneity...

Often in times which seem hard, we wait for a hug, for a shake hand, for a message, or sometimes even a missed call. Any one of these from our "that person" who we miss every moment they are not around. We know we are going to meet them sometime again, maybe even the next day! But it is true that we miss them, with all our heart. 

In such situations, riddled with social rules & regulations, we tend to kick our ego out of the door. We tend to forget all the formalities of society, only for our "that person". Simply put, at least for one single moment in our life we become --spontaneous... 

Just take a short look back at your life, at all the years you have lived by, and try to remember if you can count the times that you were full of spontaneity. I bet you can because there are very few. In a world that we have so well planned for ourselves, we have ruled out even the slightest chance for this quality of ours to pop up. Spontaneity.

When was the last time you went out to see a movie just because you felt like watching one? When was the last time you called someone, maybe your “that person” just because you wanted to? When was the last time you ate without thinking, went for a long drive, and listened to your favourite song in maximum volume, without thinking of the fact that it will disturb the neighbours?

When was the last time you didn’t search for a justification for whatever you were doing?

I always wonder, in our “well-planned” world, what is the purpose of all this spontaneity? Do we really need this…thing? I can’t possibly find an answer…

After one such long and well planned day, I come home and take a look at my mobile. There, I see a missed call. Without wondering whose it is, I redial that “unknown” number. It is 11:30 in the night, but I don’t care. A familiar voice answers, not with a formal ‘hello’ but with my pet name.

It is 2:30 now…
We have been talking for the last few hours, without caring about our telephone bills, without thinking that we have an early day ahead. My ‘that person’ has forgot to tell me that this is a new number! We have been talking on anything which comes to our minds, spontaneously. It doesn't matter that we are a thousand kilometres away from each other. All this time I didn't think that there is a time gap in our locations on the globe!

This is my ‘that person’. We meet hardly once or twice in a year. Always for a movie or at our favourite restaurant. Each time we see each other, we wonder why we haven’t met for so long, though we live in the same city. When one of us is travelling, like I was when that call happened, we know that we will meet again. Each time is like a new beginning for us. Each time we plan to meet the next week, and then meet after 6 months! People around us often think, what is that, that connects both of us? Our interests our opposite. Our personalities don’t have anything in common, except for of course….

Spontaneity.

I think I have my answer. I know why this ‘thing’ is important in my life. I found my ‘that person’ due to this quality. This personality trait. This omen!
We have planned to meet this weekend. We are meeting after almost a year now. But we have not even planned where we are going to meet! I guess we will decide this Saturday…spontaneously!

Bis bald, till then,

Atharva

No comments:

Post a Comment