Thursday 19 February 2015

The (Wo)man boss!

The functioning of family functions is common as cake in each and every part of the world. First it starts with the "too-early guests" arriving on their "scheduled time". By the time everyone comes and settles in they are already gorging on the dessert, attracting every eye present. They bid good-bye just before the "others" are starting to ponder around the buffet. 
Then there are "the too-busy" ones who have a long list of overly cliched reasons to be late and settle in just when the hosts are almost ready to call it a night. And finally after "extended hours" of the party are more than over, these VIP late comers finally board their rides while apologizing about a hundred times! 

The hosts are relived of every duty they have...but wait. Who is going to the dishes? Obviously the lady we affectionately call "momma" or "mutter" or "mother" or just "mom"! While his lady-love can see at least an hour of work ahead of her, her better half is already yawning away to a well made bed. 

And quite amusing is that this better half is the same one who will always brag about 90% of the chefs being men! Maybe he doesn't know that these chefs also clean their kitchens. Anyways, I am not here to repeat this blame game the umpteenth time. 

I am here to ask a question. My question is not the typical "Why so?", but instead it is "What now?". It has been at least 1000 generations that we (hu)mans are living in this patriarchal world. Do we really never want to change the way these things work? Are we so lazy to shrug off this old system or we still like to cling onto the "old is gold" funda. 

Well, we have to agree that there is a lot of change happening in this sector. Today we find women in uniform, as entrepreneurs, and what not! But still when 10 most rich business heads stand in a queue to meet a visiting President, only 2 of them are women. It is great that today we stand proud of the fact that our military and police and sports consist of a considerable percentage of women, but we neglect this fact that we are under-utilising this more than valuable side of human resource. All of us, rich and poor, big and small alike have forgotten that women are made for multitasking! It is a quality which all women possess, might be right from their birth! 

Lets take a simple example. My passion is cooking! I love to cook a variety of dishes for my family and friends! It is my stress buster as well as my adrenaline! 
My mom is not that much into cooking. But sometimes she does cook, just for a change or as need of time! Now, here comes the interesting part. 
--When she cooks, she is checking a work mail on the phone, telling the domestic help something important, watching her favorite comedy show, and in breaks quickly glancing through the morning news. And at that time, when I drop by her to discuss some silly notice from my college, she attends to me with equal interest! 
--When I cook, my phone is in my room, the tv is off, the newspaper is on the rack and all the people present in the house are requested to stay away from the kitchen! And when my mom drops in to remind me of a call I had to make to my uncle for his birthday, I just say, "Mom, please later! I am trying to fry an egg in here!" 

Notice the difference? And this great quality of women has clearly gone unseen and unnoticed in all these years of HUMAN EVOLUTION! 

A quite interesting quote in a business daily went as, "Work hard for 8 hours and get promoted to be a manager and work for 12 hours!". While I am equally proud and happy to see women dedicated regiments in the armed forces and sports fields, I am really anguished to see only 2 women in that queue of the heads of the richest business houses in India! It is high time that women take the lead in the business world by being the boss!  Though it might seem a bit too stretched, but I also wish to see women heading these big companies, while their better halfs are busy collecting pieces of antiques and running a charity trust in the name of their wife - the (Wo)man boss! :P (If you know what I mean!) All economic difficulties will vanish much more rapidly if this wild dream of mine comes true! Well, that's what I think. 

When I get a job, I would crave for such a (Wo)man boss! Will you? 

Bis dann, till then,
Atharva

4 comments:

  1. Hey this is rly great :) keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Do read the other ones and tell me what you think!

      Delete
  2. I believe this is more related to the way a person is brought-up. I have seen my father helping my mother from cooking to household chores. And hence I also never mind doing the same things in kitchen.
    If we individually get accustomed to the fact that woman is not just a kitchen labour but also a person we will accept the fact more openly. :)
    Nicely written!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sanket. It is so true that it does depends on the way we are brought up. But what about the persons who see the exactly opposite picture in their houses?

      Delete